Last year we announced that, moving forward, Axosoft would focus more on the OnTime Web client while the OnTime Windows client would be put on cruise control. A lot of people interpreted that to mean that we wouldn’t be updating the OnTime Visual Studio addon in the near future.
That is absolutely not the case.
In fact, with the OnTime Windows client taking a bit of a back seat, we’ve had time to focus on rebuilding the OnTime Visual Studio extension from scratch to make it better than ever. And for the first time, the new Visual Studio addon/plugin/extension (whatever it’s called these days) will work with the OnTime OnDemand product!
Setup & Configuration of OnTime Visual Studio Extension
Let’s start with the little stuff…
We wanted setting up and configuring the OnTime Visual Studio extension to be as simple as possible. You can find the new OnTime VS Plugin in the Visual Studio Extension Gallery. Of course, you can install it from the built-in Extension Manager in Visual Studio with just few clicks. The install process has become exceptionally easy.
Once installed, configuring the extension to work with your OnTime OnDemand (or OnTime V12+ OnPremises installation) is super easy. All you need is the URL to your OnTime installation and your normal login credentials:
Now you’re ready to go.
If you used the old OnTime Visual Studio plugin, you’ll immediately notice that everything has been improved:
- Improved grid with powerful filtering
- Support for Subitems (parent/child relationship)
- Completely new Add/Edit/View form with an updated look and feel
- New side panel for item detail information
- Faster response times
- Improved overall look & feel
If you’ve never used the OnTime Visual Studio plugin before, it’s time to take a serious look because it lets developers:
- Easily view any items assigned to you or reported by you
- Add new items easily or Edit and View any existing items in the system
- Quickly add attachments, comments, etc. from the side panel
- Quickly mark items as complete or move them along the workflow
- Work with OnTime items without ever leaving the Visual Studio IDE
Here are some screenshots to give you a taste of the new look and feel:
Let us know what you think.